[c-nsp] ASR 99xx IOS-XR images are all EoL/EoS?

Tom Hill tom at ninjabadger.net
Wed Dec 19 15:19:09 EST 2018

On 19/12/2018 19:59, Charles Spurgeon wrote:
> Does anyone have info on what is going on? What are people running on
> their ASR 99xx platforms?

It matters deeply which 99xx, and what supervisor(s) you have in it.

 9904 uses the same RSPs as 9006/9010.
 9906 and 9910 use a different RSP, with expandable 'S' capacity.
 9912 and 9922 use an RP, with the 'S' function entirely removed.

A recent BRKARC-2003 (from Cisco Live!) will have more details.

In this instance I suspect the 9904 is witnessing a push from Cisco to
move their customers towards 3rd generation supervisors and above;
that's RSP-880[-RL] and newer in the 9904's case. This will be because
those generations support the 64-bit variant of IOS-XR.

Whether you wish to run 64-bit IOS-XR is another matter. Whether or not
your line cards (e.g. 2nd gen "Typhoon" cards) that work just fine with
the RSP-880[-RL] on 32-bit code, will boot with the 64-bit XR code, is
another matter again -- I was fairly sure they could not fit it in RAM.

Mr. Ytti successfully predicted that they'd "probably" only make 32-bit
up to around version 6.5, so that sounds like it's right on the money.

I applaud Cisco for moving away from QNX, but I haven't heard anything
positive about the 64-bit XR variant as yet. YMMV.

--
Tom