[c-nsp] Multihomed OTV on CSR Lab - Mac Address Issue

Richard Clayton sledge121 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 04:47:56 EST 2018

Hi Guys

I think I have the reason for the behavior in my lab.  I have the 'silent
host' issue which happens in labs but generally doesn't happen in live
networks.  For my host devices I used Cisco routers with an IP address on a
single interface, all these devices were doing is a ping and and ARP to a
single IP address.  In a production network these hosts would be
workstations and servers and would be a lot more chatty, generating
broadcast traffic.  When I drop the CSR1 site 1 WAN overlay the remote
Cisco host does not generate any new broadcast traffic, new broadcast
traffic would flood from the CSR1 site 2 across the overlay and eventually
into the 'customer' layer 2 at site 1.

So in summary, in a production network the hosts would generate enough
broadcast traffic to keep failover connectivity issues to a minimum.  In a
lab with silent hosts, you will have to wait 5 minutes for the 'customer'
layer 2 mac address table to age out before connectivity is restored.  For
info I used Cisco routers as end hosts because they were easy, quick and
lightweight to spin up.

I still don't fully understand why the OTV host doesn't generate a TCN as
documented so if anyone could get an answer on that it would be great.

For now I am happy to design OTV into my customer solution.

Thanks

Rick