[c-nsp] Multihomed OTV on CSR Lab - Mac Address Issue

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Jan 29 14:13:08 EST 2018

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 01:07:50PM -0600, Aaron Gould wrote:
> Also, I wonder why I would use one of these (EVPN, VX-LAN, OTV) over the
> other ?  let me know if those 3 don't belong in the same comparison family.

Because you bought Cisco gear from one of their business unit, and not
from a different one.

In the end, all three protocols can be used to do similar things (bridging
layer 2 networks across an IP or MPLS network), but for reasons unknown to
man, it's fully impossible for Cisco decision makers to agree internally
which one to implement.

So the Nexus BU gives you OTV, the ASR9000 BU gives you EVPN and VXLAN,
the Cat6500 IOS BU gives you nothing at all ("VSS and VPLS", or something
like that).

Sounds annoyed?  No idea why.

gert
--