[c-nsp] XR on GNS3

Aaron Gould aaron1 at gvtc.com
Thu May 31 17:25:35 EDT 2018

I used XRv in GNS3 I think I used both 5.1.1 and 5.3.0 ... I recall getting
some good use out of it.

I'm not a systems guy, so climbing the learning curve and asking for help
from the communities online was what I had to do in order to figure out how
to get it show up inside the GNS3 app (used virtual box, and recall ova,
vmdk, qemu, etc, etc) .... then it was useable and working.  I also did
Juniper Olive/vMX.

A couple things....

I don't think I ever got the Layer 2 forwarding to work.  L3 routing worked
and packets would flow... but L2 bridging and MPLS Layer 2 type things I
don't think I ever got to properly flow.

I also would have to bounce interfaces using a batch file anytime I
restarted gns3 or even if I added a new instance of XRv... so because of
that, I would never reboot my windows vm that it was all contained inside
and tried not to close gns3 app

-Aaron