[c-nsp] ISR (or ISR-like) router with dual SIM?

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue Nov 27 09:39:14 EST 2018

Peter Rathlev <peter at rathlev.dk> writes:

> Cisco recommends the C1101-4PLTE as a replacement. It's cheaper and
> more future proof but I can't seem to find a model that actually has
> two modems and takes two SIMs. Even though the datasheet[1] says "dual
> SIM support", every model seems to support only one.
>
> [0]: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/1900-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/eos-eol-notice-c51-737501.html
>
> [1]: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/1000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/datasheet-c78-739512.html

Doesn't look like it supports two modems.  The claim is "dual SIM".  The
Sierra Wireless EM7455 and EM7430 modems they use support two SIM
interfaces, software selectable.

Look at the pictures of the pluggable modem module in the hardware
guide. It has two micro SIM slots:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/1100/hardware/installation/guide/b-cisco-1100-series-hig/isr1k-upgrade-fru.html#concept_hlm_dnl_xdb

If you actually need two modems, then the C1109-4PLTE2P might be an
option?

Disclaimer:  I have no experience with any of these routers...

Bjørn