[c-nsp] BGP DFZ convergence time - FIB programming

Robert Raszuk robert at raszuk.net
Thu Oct 11 10:30:28 EDT 2018

> Hi Mark,
>
> What makes you think there would be a difference in time to load eBGP
> learned routes vs. iBGP learned routes? Something from personal experience?

James,

I think the difference Mark may have in mind that iBGP routes say from RR
are advertised from RR's control plane. Many RRs today are just x86 control
plane boxes with no forwarding.

On the other hand number of implementations before sending route over eBGP
must make sure that those routes are installed in data plane locally before
being advertised.

Of course non of this really matters if those routes are already installed
when you trigger advertisements to UUT.

There are also few more little "delays" for eBGP vs iBGP depending on your
BGP code base - regarding policy processing or origin validation :).

Best,
R.