[c-nsp] BGP DFZ convergence time - FIB programming

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 09:56:52 EDT 2018

On 5 October 2018 08:25:35 BST, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

>On 5/Oct/18 09:17, Robert Hass wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I'm looking for share experiences regarding time needed to program
>full DFZ
>> table (710K IPv4 prefixes) on NCS 5500 boxes.
>>
>> Right now we testing competitors (Jericho based boxes) and results
>are not
>> impressive - time needed to program is aroud 2min 30sec up to 3min.
>>
>> How fast NCS 5500 is handing FIB programming ?
>
>I don't have any of these boxes (or chipsets) in my network, but out of
>curiosity, how long does it take to load the same routes in RIB,
>depending on if these are learned via iBGP (from a route reflector,
>likely) or via eBGP (from an upstream provider, for example)?
>
>Mark.

Hi Mark,

What makes you think there would be a difference in time to load eBGP learned routes vs. iBGP learned routes? Something from personal experience?

Am I being naive here, I'd expect them to be the same? An UPDATE from an eBGP or iBGP peer could contain the same NLRI with all of the same attributes so I would expect them to pass through the same pipe line of BGP parsing and processing code?

Cheers,
James.