[c-nsp] BGP DFZ convergence time - FIB programming

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Oct 13 12:36:12 EDT 2018

On 12/Oct/18 14:15, adamv0025 at netconsultings.com wrote:

> In order to avoid using ingress policy on iBGP session towards RRs I'm
> setting the dummy next-hop on export from the trigger VRF, but yes I had to
> add the dummy next-hop onto RRs for them to have a valid next-hop and could
> relay the route further.

For us, customer-triggered RTBH is provided as standard for all eBGP
sessions with customers. Once they send us the right community with
their own routes, we just pass that community on to the RR's via iBGP.
The RR will relay those routes to all other devices in the network, and
as long as those devices see that community (and are permitted to act on
said community), traffic to the routes that carry the community is
dropped locally on those devices.

For manually-triggered RTBH (i.e., the NOC have to do it because the
customer does not know how to or does not want to do it themselves), we
have a dedicated router in the network that can be used as the launchpad
for RTBH signals, managed by the NOC.

We don't perform any ingress iBGP policy for RTBH anywhere in the network.

Mark.