[c-nsp] Has there been a Cisco network device with GE management port while other ports are FE or lower?

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 17:27:08 EDT 2018

Thanks for replies!

> Hmm I seem to remember on some older version of the CSR code (cloud services router) they had a G0 interface.

According to https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/csr1000/software/configuration/b_CSR1000v_Configuration_Guide/b_CSR1000v_Configuration_Guide_chapter_01010.html,
the first vNIC was automatically mapped to the Gi0 management
interface in IOS XE Release 3.10S and earlier. This is a good
exception.

> Also - the only other place you might see it is on a 8xx series router.

Yes, for example in Cisco 891, which has a 1GigE WAN port:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/112239287188-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

In summary, if GigabitEthernet0 is not the only GigabitEthernet port,
then it is definitely a management Ethernet interface. If
GigabitEthernet0 is the only GigabitEthernet port, then it is
impossible to say, if it is a management port(for example, CSR running
IOS XE 3.10S or ASR with slower/non-ethernet line cards) or
non-management port(for example, some Cisco 800 series models)?

thanks,
Martin