[c-nsp] Cisco 8000

Nikolas Geyer nik at neko.id.au
Thu Dec 12 21:30:39 EST 2019

NCS5500 is Broadcom StrataDNX family (Jericho), Juniper QFX5k is StrataXGS family (Trident/Tomahawk), the platforms aren’t really comparable as while they share some similarities on paper they are very different beasts in the reality.

The NCS5500 would be positioned more towards the QFX10k in market position (QFX/PTX10k and NCS5500 are around the same price point on $/Mbit port cost) but the Juniper silicon will blow the Jericho out of the water for most things with the exclusion of eTCAM Cisco plumbed into some of the NCS.

This new 8000 series will, imo, sit at a tier higher than NCS5500 with the NCS being the “cheap and cheerful but somewhat restricted and quirky” merchant silicon box, and the 8000 having the merchant silicon restrictions removed.

Will be interesting to see how market penetration plays out beyond the hyperscalers.

Sent from my iPhone