[c-nsp] Cisco 8000

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Dec 15 02:00:24 EST 2019

On 12/Dec/19 16:17, James Jun wrote:

> I agree that ASR-9901 (Starlord) was not the strong response the market was looking for from Cisco, but they had to go to war with what they had available at the time (Tomahawk/EZchip NP). This meant MX204 competition with twice the HW footprint, much higher power draw, etc :-p

Same discussion I had with them 2 weeks ago. The 9901 isn't really an
answer to the MX204.

Ultimately, I'd like to see an ASR920-10G, which gives us 12 - 24 ports
of 1/10Gbps, with 4x 10Gbps and/or 2x 100Gbps uplinks, running IOS XE. I
think a box like this would be more competitive than the MX204 for
Metro-E deployments where customers need 10Gbps last mile in the Access.

We'll see if they listen.

Mark.