[c-nsp] QoS and groups of subscribers

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Mon Feb 11 14:59:47 EST 2019

Hello,

    I have a group of subscribers using PPPoE, and I was wondering if
there would be a way to implement a common QoS policy whereby every
member of this group shares a single virtual 100mbps pipe? The situation
I want to deal with is oversubscription and wanting to try and enforce
queuing at the head end router where I know the bandwidth of the
transport network behind it, and wanting to try and improve fairness for
these users so a small group does not drown out everyone else. I know
and already have a working solution for implementing CAR for individual
users (well tested here), but what I am talking about here is for an
entire group sharing one pool of bandwidth.

    I don't really know what I am looking for here other than more
fairly sharing 100mbps amoungst a group of competing users, but in
concept if I am going to do it, then it might be nice to see what can be
done not only for a larger group but also at the level of per subscriber
and see about making more intelligent queuing / shaping decisions to
improve overall service quality for end users who otherwise DDoS
themselves. Would love any pointers or examples of how this has been
done already elsewhere.

Thank you.

Mike-