[c-nsp] ASR920 is a ticking timebomb (CSCvk35460)

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 13:53:15 EST 2019

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 at 16:16, David White, Jr. (dwhitejr) via
cisco-nsp <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net> wrote:
> Unfortunately, 'Terminated' in this case has double meanings.  It in
> fact does mean exactly what you have stated, 'a conscious decision was
> made not to fix this bug'.  However, it /also/ means 'Unreproducible -
> we are unable to reproduce the issue, and need additional information
> before we can proceed further'.

A lot of people open TAC cases and submit "show tech-support" output.
I think the majority of the time that info is ran through the "show
tech" analyser tool. It would be great if Cisco could aggregate and
act upon all that submitted data.

For example; given how widely deployed ASR920s are you have probably
had someone recently open a case for an ASR920 on the required code
version that is been up for nearly 889 days. You could just search
through those "show tech" outputs in all your ASR920 cases where
ios_xe_version == 15.5 and find someone with a device that is about to
experience this bug and gather the data you need.

You could really blow my mind and PROACTIVELY reach out to such a
customer and say "Hay, you're going to get hit by a nasty bug soon,
lets work together; You let me grab some debug info from your router
to try and fine the root cause, then you can schedule a proactive
maintenance window to reboot/upgrade/burn your router to avoid the
impact WE KNOW you're going to have" - instead of just watching it
happen and not capatalising on the data avilable to you.

Cheers,
James (living in a dream world).