[c-nsp] ASR920 is a ticking timebomb (CSCvk35460)

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Jan 24 11:27:15 EST 2019

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 11:15:44AM -0500, David White, Jr. (dwhitejr) via cisco-nsp wrote:
> Unfortunately, 'Terminated' in this case has double meanings.  It in
> fact does mean exactly what you have stated, 'a conscious decision was
> made not to fix this bug'.  However, it /also/ means 'Unreproducible -
> we are unable to reproduce the issue, and need additional information
> before we can proceed further'.

Which is nicely demonstrating some of the issues we have with Cisco
these days - something like should be easy enough to find in the code if
it happens for many people, all the interfaces, and always after the same
time.

But since Cisco these days seems to insist on "it needs to be reproduceable
by TAC before a developer even looks at the code", you get to wait 488
days for the case to proceed...

(We've had IPv6 ND bugs that happened fairly regularily to us, but since
it needed "more than 600 other routers in the LAN to trigger", it was not
possible to reproduce in the lab and the case never went anywhere.  In the
end we just bought a different router, problem solved...)

gert