[c-nsp] Experience with Lenovo switching, anyone?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Jun 21 14:05:44 EDT 2019

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 03:13:22PM +0200, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
> we are looking for alternatives to the two large vendors
> that are cost efficient for a small hosting company.
>
> Does anyone have practical experience with Lenovo
> ENOS and is willing to share?
>
> With a limited budget we prefer to cut features rather
> than stability ;-)

What features do you need?  "Switching" or "full L3 routing"?  And
if routing, how large the table?

> Yet multi-chassis (at least dual-chassis) LACP or similar
> or some modern ???fabric??? architecture are necessary.
> I don???t want to go back to only STP ???

We've moved to Arista for the "1RU, lots of 10/25GE ports, MLAG"
places in our network, and we are very happy.  Stuff works like a
breeze - and if it doesn't (we found a bug with IPv6 and OSPFv3,
of course) ATAC is really pleasant to work with.

The only negative aspect so far: for "mostly the same hardware",
Arista pricepoint is slightly above Juniper (7050SX* vs. EX4600/QFX5120
etc.) - but especially the time saved with niceties like "MLAG that just
works" has been worth the extra CAPEX already.

gert