[c-nsp] DHCP per user features

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Wed Mar 6 16:08:08 EST 2019

Hello,

    I have ASR1000 and am terminating subscriber access PPPoE sessions
on it. I am making a move twords supporting DHCP for subscriber access
and I am trying to envision how to support the same subscriber features
I am using under PPPoE.

    For PPPoE, the magic happens in radius. The three primary features I
support are:

    Per-user firewall - a configurable packet filter choice (in
practice, three choices - no, medium, or high filtering)

    Per-user rate limits - Policing to enforce upload/download speed limits

    Per-user ip assignment - assigning fixed ip address / subnets

    For a DHCP access model, I know I can do magic-foo with my dhcp
server using option 82 or circuit-id arguments to select the right
values. But these other two features (firewall and ratelimiting) I have
no clue how to get this programmed in for the subscriber session. I have
tried reading up on 'isg subscriber sessions' which seems to indicate it
can do something with dhcp subscribers, but the documentation is really
difficult and I find no real examples for same. It also states per-user
firewall is not supported nor is policing.

    Any clues would be most appreciated....

Mike-