[c-nsp] Upgrading to newer hardware from 7606..

Tom Hill tom at ninjabadger.net
Wed Mar 6 11:57:53 EST 2019

On 06/03/2019 00:08, James Jun wrote:
> For considering greenfield deployments of ASR-9001, the product you're looking
> for now is the ASR-9901.
>
> There is a specific bundle/SKU called 'ASR-9901-120G', which only licenses 120Gbps
> worth of bandwidth on the chassis, and prices it pretty much same as fully loaded
> ASR-9001 ('loaded' as in ASR9001 configured with two 4x10G MPAs on top of built-in
> 4x10G ports).  It is the new replacement SKU for ASR-9001 customers to migrate to,
> when EOS/EOL announcement comes up (soon I think).

Yes, what James has said rings pretty true. See also the 9906 chassis
(not 9006) if you decide that you want to retain some modularity, though
be mindful of the power draw.

I did actually do a long, waffly talk about replacing 7600s at a UKNOF
event some years ago, and the process that we ($job-1) went through. A
lot of it is still pretty relevant (including the notion that you should
remove the 7600s as fast as is humanly possible) so here's the video in
case it helps:

  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMb_Bwvgpl4

--
Tom