[c-nsp] ASR920 Usb console issues

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Tue Mar 26 16:40:36 EDT 2019

Hello,

Got a strange problem... I use my mac laptop for serial console duty all
the time and have a keyspan usb dongle I can attach the cisco flat
serial console cable to and other 9 pin devices and get in and do my
thing. The ASR920 however has a straight usb serial and it doesn't work
%100 of the time with my  laptop machines....

I am successful connecting to the ASR920 with a PC running linux and
using minicom, do initial setup etc. But if I use my mac laptop... nope,
I get nothing on the console. And I have another mac laptop (a recent
mac pro with usb-c  connectors) and a dongle with usb3.0 and nope that
doesn't work either.  I have another laptop running linux mint, and it
also can't work.. But then I booted that laptop with windows... and yep,
I can get in on the console just fine So, I don't know what to make of
this but clearly on the same hardware, windows knows something that
linux doesn't, and my desktop linux machine also knows something the
laptop doesn't as well.

Does anyone know of a fix or a trick here? I need a mobile machine that
can talk console and I can't drag a desktop machine around for this job.

Mike-