[c-nsp] ASR920 Usb console issues

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Wed Mar 27 17:18:36 EDT 2019

On 3/27/19 12:23 PM, Brian Knight wrote:
> On 2019-03-26 15:40, Mike wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> Got a strange problem... I use my mac laptop for serial console duty
>> all the time and have a keyspan usb dongle I can attach the cisco flat
>> serial console cable to and other 9 pin devices and get in and do my
>> thing. The ASR920 however has a straight usb serial and it doesn't
>> work %100 of the time with my  laptop machines....
>>

> The ASR920 has a USB Type A socket on the front that is wired for
> RS232 instead of USB-type signaling.
>
> Are you using the cable from A920-CONS-KIT-S to connect to the serial
> port?
>
> I have no issues with my Mac + Keyspan dongle as long as I'm using
> that cable.
>
> -Brian

Hello,

The USB Type-A to Type-A A920-CONS-KIT-S cable, is a bust on mac and pc
laptops running linux. It DOES work for some reason, on another desktop
running linux. It also does work on same laptop running windows. Go
figure. For reference, the very excellent seeming 'Serial.app' for mac,
while very nice indeed, does not fix the problem either. It appears to
use the apple usb driver and not one of it's own as otherwise suggested.

The universal fix does seems to be the the square usb to rj45 adapter
which was also suggested by someone, so thats what is going to stay in
my tech bag. Still would love to solve the mystery tho, since we can see
on identical hardware linux doesn't work but windows does.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Mike-