[c-nsp] ASR920 Usb console issues

Brian Knight ml at knight-networks.com
Wed Mar 27 21:16:04 EDT 2019

> On Mar 27, 2019, at 4:18 PM, Mike <mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/27/19 12:23 PM, Brian Knight wrote:
>>> On 2019-03-26 15:40, Mike wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> Got a strange problem... I use my mac laptop for serial console duty
>>> all the time and have a keyspan usb dongle I can attach the cisco flat
>>> serial console cable to and other 9 pin devices and get in and do my
>>> thing. The ASR920 however has a straight usb serial and it doesn't
>>> work %100 of the time with my  laptop machines....
>>>

>> The ASR920 has a USB Type A socket on the front that is wired for
>> RS232 instead of USB-type signaling.
>>
>> Are you using the cable from A920-CONS-KIT-S to connect to the serial
>> port?
>>
>> I have no issues with my Mac + Keyspan dongle as long as I'm using
>> that cable.
>>
>> -Brian
>>

> Hello,
>
> The USB Type-A to Type-A A920-CONS-KIT-S cable

I’m 90% sure the A920-CONS-KIT-S is the USB Type A plug to RJ45 socket, carrying RS232 signaling. (I don’t have a way to visually verify that at the moment.)

I think you may be talking about the A920-CONS-KIT-U which is the USB Type A to Type A connector, carrying USB signaling. We / I have never used that since we prefer RS232 signaling.

> , is a bust on mac and pc
> laptops running linux. It DOES work for some reason, on another desktop
> running linux. It also does work on same laptop running windows. Go
> figure. For reference, the very excellent seeming 'Serial.app' for mac,
> while very nice indeed, does not fix the problem either. It appears to
> use the apple usb driver and not one of it's own as otherwise suggested.
>
> The universal fix does seems to be the the square usb to rj45 adapter
> which was also suggested by someone, so thats what is going to stay in
> my tech bag. Still would love to solve the mystery tho, since we can see
> on identical hardware linux doesn't work but windows does.
>

> Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
>

> Mike-

-Brian