[c-nsp] Cisco ASR1000 Info..

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Fri Nov 1 16:54:23 EDT 2019

On 10/31/19 12:23 PM, Howard Leadmon wrote:
> On 10/31/2019 2:04 PM, Gert Doering wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Actually I'm amazed at all the newfangled gear which promises to do
>> everything and then fails at essentials that *my 6500s* have been doing
>> well from day 1...
>  I have really loved my  65xx's and 7600's that I have had, and my
> 7606 is running to this very day, passing many bits very happily.
>> OTOH, my 6500s are really falling apart, and we're fairly busy getting
>> rid of them (replacing the switch layer with Arista Trident2+/3 MLAG
>> pairs, routing for "things without ACLs" on there as well, routing for
>> "things with ACLs" yet undecided)...   BGP currently goes to ASR9001s,
>> but the lack of ports and the price insanity of ASR9901 make me look
>> at MX204 and Arista Jericho gear...
>
>  I had a few tell me to look at the 9901, but agree it's far to rich
> for my blood, we are just small fry's running in a handful of racks,
> so I have a hard time justifying a 100K  for a router.   So do you
> feel that the ASR9001 would be a good choice for the next 5 years or
> so, and if I am correct on the 9001 I think the licensing is all there
> from the start, so it should just play?   I think the only thing that
> made me blink at the unit, is I only saw dual power supplies, granted
> it's a rare day you see the processors drop over.
>> I really like my ASR9001s, but the Cisco BU and OS confusion does not
>> really make me confident that this is the company I want to trust for
>> the next 15+ years... (unlike the 6500s that really *really* served
>> us well for a loooong time).
>
>  As I mentioned in my prior message to Mark, I even brought up the
> option of a Juniper, the MX240's seem to be reasonable, but a great
> many on the Juniper list no less warned me to be cautious and said if
> I wanted to consider JunOS I best have a unit to lab with for a while
> first.   That and list with so many other vendors, the licensing
> looked every bit as much of a pain in the backside.   So after all
> that I went back to looking at the ASR1006 and ASR9001 for my task.
> As I also mentioned in my prior message back to the list, I really
> just need a good BGP speaker with capacity for a few million IPv4/IPv6
> routes, so I am not fork-lifting it out in a years time.  I also need
> say 8 10GE ports to connect to my upstreams, peers, and the rest of my
> internal network..

I want to chime in on this -

I have always been cisco shop. One day, I really had had enough with the
oppressive pricing of 10G ports so after a lot of looking around, I
wound up going with a juniper mx240, dual 1800-4 route engines and 16
10G ports for $25k. I was able to go from zero juniper-foo to a fully
configured bgp peering / ospf igp setup in roughly a week, and since
then, have been able to make granular configuration improvements that
just keep getting better over time. I quickly discovered the fact of the
configuration not being committed until I 'commit' and being able to
automatically roll-back if I make a bad mistake, and a whole host of
other awesome features as documented in juniper day one documents. I
have become totally sold on the platform and just shudder to think of
how much productivity I have lost fighting various ciscoisms that just
dont seem to exist here. Not to soapbox too much, but don't listen to
nay sayers. I was able to make the leap pretty easy and I think you
could too.

Mike-