[c-nsp] 3800 layer 2 Switch

quinn snyder snyderq at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 12:28:15 EST 2019

> On Nov 12, 2019, at 01:39, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

> Doesn't seem like a big jump if it is based on the old mapping, where
> IOS XE 3.x was actually IOS 15.x. IIRC, it was a way to bring the old
> IOS numbering convention into the new IOS XE numbering convention.
>
> So technically speaking, if they were still going to be keeping that,
> 16.x would translate to IOS XE 4.x.
>
> Someone correct me if I'm mis-remembering.
>
> Mark.

Mark —
You’re right in the mapping between IOS-XE and IOSd blobs.  Based on the older architecture of XE — there was a direct correlation between XE and the IOSd blob that was running for most of the control-plane bits.

Now that IOS-XE has moved towards “open” IOS-XE — with a drastic difference in architecture — 16.6+ is quite different “under the covers” than 3.x versions; not that you’ll see much over the top.

Either way — the upgrade won’t be bigly different.

q.