[c-nsp] Datacenter management

harbor235 harbor235 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 07:58:51 EDT 2019

Hi noggers,

I have a UCS/Bladeserver that i want to understand how management traffic
is handled to and from VMs. The UCS/Bladeserver has a dedicated management
interface and can be connected to the management network for configuration
purposes. My question is how is management taken care of for VMs?

Is it best practice to present a separate vnic for vnic management to each
VM? This alows for layer2 segmentation from the primary service delivery
vnic. The layer3 interface for the vnic management is a firewall or similar
and can interface with the backend management network. This allows for
segmentation and isolation of the forwarding plance and the management
plane.

The other option is to collapse all layer2 networks into a single layer2
domain which is not a good idea.

How do you handle VM management?

Mike