[c-nsp] Sup2T multicast hardware forwarding missing

Christian Kratzer ck-lists at cksoft.de
Thu Oct 17 13:55:48 EDT 2019

Hi,

I just spent two days debugging a multicast issue with a quad sup2t 6509 running 151-2.SY3

I am at my wits end and while I wait for the customers cisco partner to finally escalate the case
we opened to cisco I would like to try my luck here.

It seems that the box no longer does HW Forwarding for ip mfib.

     Router#show ip mfib
     Entry Flags:    C - Directly Connected, S - Signal, IA - Inherit A flag,
 		    ET - Data Rate Exceeds Threshold, K - Keepalive
 		    DDE - Data Driven Event, HW - Hardware Installed
     I/O Item Flags: IC - Internal Copy, NP - Not platform switched,
 		    NS - Negate Signalling, SP - Signal Present,
 		    A - Accept, F - Forward, RA - MRIB Accept, RF - MRIB Forward,
 		    MA - MFIB Accept
     Forwarding Counts: Pkt Count/Pkts per second/Avg Pkt Size/Kbits per second
     Other counts:      Total/RPF failed/Other drops
     I/O Item Counts:   FS Pkt Count/PS Pkt Count
      (*,224.0.0.0/4) Flags: C
        SW Forwarding: 0/0/0/0, Other: 0/0/0
        Null0 Flags: NS
      (*,224.0.1.40) Flags: C
        SW Forwarding: 0/0/0/0, Other: 0/0/0
        Tunnel2 Flags: A
        Vlan50 Flags: F IC NS
 	 Pkts: 0/0
      (*,239.0.0.30) Flags: C
        SW Forwarding: 0/0/0/0, Other: 0/0/0
        Tunnel2 Flags: A
        Vlan50 Flags: F NS
 	 Pkts: 0/0
        Tunnel4, MDT Decap Flags: F NS
 	 Pkts: 0/0

The box started dropping so many mcast packets that iptv streams where not showing anymore.

A full power cycle [1] in the service window resolved the issue for a couple of hours.

The next morning HW Forwrding was gone again.

I have not found a way to renable HW Forwarding and am unsure about the real cause of this as the
config had been working fine for 4 years and then broke over night.

[1] We initially wanted to upgrade to 151-2.SY12 in the service window but the issu upgrade failed
miserably and we had to had to hard reboot sups from the cmp.  But that is another story.

Any ideas ?

Greetings
Christian

--
Christian Kratzer                   CK Software GmbH
Email:   ck at cksoft.de               Wildberger Weg 24/2