[c-nsp] new ASR9901 ios update problem

cnsp at marenda.net cnsp at marenda.net
Wed Oct 23 09:01:57 EDT 2019

Hi,

the asr9k series is quite new for me, so sorry for asking silly beginners
questions.

i found a box with an asr9901 in my office.
It is loaded with IOS-XR x64 6.5.2 .
Cisco-download recommends 6.5.3 ,
so i downloaded that several Gbyte .

(or should I use 6.6.x ?)

I was seeking instructions on how to do the update,
and found a pdf on this subject in the ...docs..tarball.

Fine, I thought.

The asr9901 is currently connected with the first mgmt-ethernet
to my mgmt-vlan where I have a tftp/ftp/syslog/... server
As allways, that interface is in it's own vrf.

Also I can connect to the CON port from a serial-line-terminalserver.

First "problem": "show vrf ?" or "show vrf all" does not show it.
(while my older asr9001 currently running 6.1.4 code does)

Second "problem": how to formulate the URLs with vrf ?
I have tried ftp://user:pass@10.11.12.13;mgmt/rhabarbar/6-5-3/
But this seems to not work (for example to save the running config to ftp
server).

I went thru the instructions on how to upgrade .

In Method 4.1 "classical" way I need the "iso" but cannt find what to do
with it.

So I tried to use Method 4.2 "install upgrade" ,
Put the files into my ftp-server
I found that "install" does not have the option update or upgrade
So I cannot do this.

(also, in the screenshots of that update-document,
 is output referring 6.3.3 iso file, I don't want to mix things)

I have an open TAC case on that,
but did not hear anything from them for the last 50 hour.
Since the mashine is not doing real work,
What is the fool-safe way for upgrading it?

Pre-final question is regarding the patches called "SMU".
There seem to be three sorts of it:
"x64" "px" and "sysadmin" .
"x64" is good for the 9901, "px" for the 9001 (32bit) and "sysadmin" for
both ?

The Method 4.2 tells me to put (all?) the SMUs into the same
Directory as the .iso and an unpacked tar file .
Is that ok? I saw some slides on it, and that looked like I should
Sort this in some kind of directory structure, which was not clearly
defined.

Can the installation of the SMUs be done later,
will the device find out by itself in which order
To install them?

Last question is, weather I should update the older asr9001
also to 6.5.3 to have bugs^Wfeatures in sync ?

( _must_ they have call-home/smart-licensing/ enabled ?)

Sorry again for beginners questions,
now everyone knows that I'm too stupid for those devices.

Thank you for your patience reading this and your kind help

Jürgen Marenda.