[c-nsp] Cisco 4000 series (4461) as a BGP router?

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Wed Oct 30 20:17:44 EDT 2019

Patrick,

> On 28 Oct 2019, at 09:30, Patrick M. Hausen <hausen at punkt.de> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
>> Am 27.10.2019 um 01:36 schrieb Łukasz Bromirski <lukasz at bromirski.net>:
>>
>>> On 23 Oct 2019, at 13:50, Patrick M. Hausen <hausen at punkt.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> would you recommend the 4461 to run a handful of
>>> full feeds for v4 and v6? The model seems to be quite
>>> affordable compared to ASR 9000 series routers and
>>> throughput is not our main concern for upstream.
>>
>> It will do fine. Memory and performance shouldn’t be an issue until you
>> reach around 7Gbps (with BOOST license, if you’re not running virtual
>> containers).
>>
>> If that’s not enough, consider ASR 1001X/1001HX.
>
> Our supplier recommended refurbished 9001 or 9006 to get the best
> bang for the buck. Would you agree with that?

It will depend on your requirements. 9001 is small, deep, but powerful,
capable of pushing 120Gbps. ISR 4461 and ASR 1001X/1001HX
can’t match that (1001HX is 60Gbps) and for example can do
VPN crypto which 9001/9901 can’t (if you’re willing at some point in
future to terminate S2S/RA VPNs).

> Could someone kindly clue me in about the 32bit vs 64bit platform
> „issue“ if there is one? I would not want to invest into a platform
> with EOL already on the horizon. Those 6500 have been running way
> too long.

As I already responded to James, 9001 is not going EOL anytime
soon - at least not until June 2020. 32 bit is still an valid option and
will be for years to come - we have hundreds of thousands of systems
deployed with it.

*If* however you want to go for full-scale/future-proof design, either
go with ASR 1k or ASR 9901 (both of which run 64b code, IOS-XE and
IOS XR now).

And refurbished is only good if you don’t need official service & support.

--
Łukasz Bromirski
CCIE R&S/SP #15929, CCDE #2012::17, PGP Key ID: 0xFD077F6A