[c-nsp] Cisco 4000 series (4461) as a BGP router?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Oct 29 07:41:11 EDT 2019

On Tue, 29 Oct 2019 at 13:24, <adamv0025 at netconsultings.com> wrote:

> Sure there's a BW rate above which NPU clearly wins,
> But for low BW cases like the on in OP's case it's a no brainer even with massive server (total overkill for 10G) the 10G virtual is 8 times cheaper than the cheapest HW option.
> I'm being vague on purpose here cause I think the list prices are under NDA.

I hear a lot of people buying MX204 for 15k and less, when they buy a
single unit, unsure if loss leader to get people to try JNPR.
Reasonable server like R840 set you back 7k. And then you actually
have to buy the vMX, which will put it around the 10k?
Obviously the Dell will have less ports and completely inferior
performance and in networking shops much higher OPEX.

Considering how cheap CAPEX is, I just don't see it.

--
  ++ytti