[c-nsp] Cisco ASR1000 Info..

Howard Leadmon howard at leadmon.net
Thu Oct 31 09:20:35 EDT 2019

  OK, maybe I am just losing my mind, but the more I look at information
on the ASR's the more confusing it gets, what happened to the good old
6500/7600 days..

  We are a small shop, but have multiple transit points as well as
peerings at Equinix, so need a router that will happily talk BGP all
day.   I was looking at picking up an ASR1006/RP2 from someone, but
wanted to make sure it would all work, and the more I look at the
licensing, the more confused I get, and no I can't honestly afford to
run out and buy a new one.   I was going to pick up a handful of SIP40's
and 10GE ports to tie it to our upstream's and internal network.

  Now here is where it gets confusing for me, and I don't want to spend
a pile of money on a new router just to find out it was wasted and won't
work.   I see talk of perpetual licenses, flex licenses, honor licenses,
and the latest I found was something about macsec licenses per port.   I
am really looking for simple, I want to configure the box, put it in
service, and just have it work, without having to worry about phone
home's, renewal fees and anything else that can sneak up and bite me.

  I did want redundancy like we had in our old 7600's, so why I figured
the ASR1006 might be a good fit, with hardware redundancy, and
supporting a lot more routes, plus it seems from what I have read that
IOS-XE is very much like IOS which I am quite used to at this time.
If anyone has any suggestions, or can share any experiences, so I don't
waste good money on something useless it would sure be appreciated..

---
Howard Leadmon
PBW Communications, LLC
http://www.pbwcomm.com