[c-nsp] Cisco ASR1000 Info..

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Oct 31 12:39:32 EDT 2019

On 31/Oct/19 15:20, Howard Leadmon wrote:

>  OK, maybe I am just losing my mind, but the more I look at
> information on the ASR's the more confusing it gets, what happened to
> the good old 6500/7600 days..

Oh gosh, now you're going to set Gert off. He has been a happy camper
these past few years, even Oliver took a break :-).

>  Now here is where it gets confusing for me, and I don't want to spend
> a pile of money on a new router just to find out it was wasted and
> won't work.   I see talk of perpetual licenses, flex licenses, honor
> licenses, and the latest I found was something about macsec licenses
> per port.   I am really looking for simple, I want to configure the
> box, put it in service, and just have it work, without having to worry
> about phone home's, renewal fees and anything else that can sneak up
> and bite me.

The last time I spent any mental resources on figuring our licenses on
the ASR1000 was when the only one at the time was whether the forwarding
plane is doing 2.5Gbps, 5Gbps or 10Gbps.

When Cisco refreshed the line, it became too costly compared to the
Juniper MX options. So what we bought in 2014 is what we still have
today (ASR1002-X, ASR1006). No major traffic running through any of
these, so the only relevant ASR platform in our network is the 920,
which is different from what you need.

What I'm trying to say is, you might want to call your SE. You'll get
good feedback from this group, but to avoid anything else sneaking up on
and biting you, talk to your SE.

>  I did want redundancy like we had in our old 7600's, so why I figured
> the ASR1006 might be a good fit, with hardware redundancy, and
> supporting a lot more routes, plus it seems from what I have read that
> IOS-XE is very much like IOS which I am quite used to at this time.
> If anyone has any suggestions, or can share any experiences, so I
> don't waste good money on something useless it would sure be
> appreciated..

If I'm honest, the ASR1000 is not a platform I'd spend money on, going
forward. Especially if you are not looking to run any non-Ethernet line
cards.

Focus on the MX and ASR9000, I'd say.

Mark.