[c-nsp] Cisco ASR1000 Info..

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Oct 31 14:04:19 EDT 2019

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 06:39:32PM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On 31/Oct/19 15:20, Howard Leadmon wrote:
> >  OK, maybe I am just losing my mind, but the more I look at
> > information on the ASR's the more confusing it gets, what happened to
> > the good old 6500/7600 days..
>
> Oh gosh, now you're going to set Gert off. He has been a happy camper
> these past few years, even Oliver took a break :-).

Hear hear :-)

Actually I'm amazed at all the newfangled gear which promises to do
everything and then fails at essentials that *my 6500s* have been doing
well from day 1...

Like, Aristas Jericho boxes that have no egress counters on SVIs.

Like, insanely small amount of ACL TCAM in Broadcom Trident:

Like, ASR9001s that have only limited support for ACLs on SVIs.

OTOH, my 6500s are really falling apart, and we're fairly busy getting
rid of them (replacing the switch layer with Arista Trident2+/3 MLAG
pairs, routing for "things without ACLs" on there as well, routing for
"things with ACLs" yet undecided)...   BGP currently goes to ASR9001s,
but the lack of ports and the price insanity of ASR9901 make me look
at MX204 and Arista Jericho gear...

I really like my ASR9001s, but the Cisco BU and OS confusion does not
really make me confident that this is the company I want to trust for
the next 15+ years... (unlike the 6500s that really *really* served
us well for a loooong time).

gert