[c-nsp] Cisco ASR1000 Info..

Howard Leadmon howard at leadmon.net
Thu Oct 31 15:23:56 EDT 2019

On 10/31/2019 2:04 PM, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Actually I'm amazed at all the newfangled gear which promises to do
> everything and then fails at essentials that *my 6500s* have been doing
> well from day 1...
  I have really loved my  65xx's and 7600's that I have had, and my 7606
is running to this very day, passing many bits very happily.
> OTOH, my 6500s are really falling apart, and we're fairly busy getting
> rid of them (replacing the switch layer with Arista Trident2+/3 MLAG
> pairs, routing for "things without ACLs" on there as well, routing for
> "things with ACLs" yet undecided)...   BGP currently goes to ASR9001s,
> but the lack of ports and the price insanity of ASR9901 make me look
> at MX204 and Arista Jericho gear...

  I had a few tell me to look at the 9901, but agree it's far to rich
for my blood, we are just small fry's running in a handful of racks, so
I have a hard time justifying a 100K  for a router.   So do you feel
that the ASR9001 would be a good choice for the next 5 years or so, and
if I am correct on the 9001 I think the licensing is all there from the
start, so it should just play?   I think the only thing that made me
blink at the unit, is I only saw dual power supplies, granted it's a
rare day you see the processors drop over.
> I really like my ASR9001s, but the Cisco BU and OS confusion does not
> really make me confident that this is the company I want to trust for
> the next 15+ years... (unlike the 6500s that really *really* served
> us well for a loooong time).

  As I mentioned in my prior message to Mark, I even brought up the
option of a Juniper, the MX240's seem to be reasonable, but a great many
on the Juniper list no less warned me to be cautious and said if I
wanted to consider JunOS I best have a unit to lab with for a while
first.   That and list with so many other vendors, the licensing looked
every bit as much of a pain in the backside.   So after all that I went
back to looking at the ASR1006 and ASR9001 for my task.    As I also
mentioned in my prior message back to the list, I really just need a
good BGP speaker with capacity for a few million IPv4/IPv6 routes, so I
am not fork-lifting it out in a years time.  I also need say 8 10GE
ports to connect to my upstreams, peers, and the rest of my internal
network..

> gert

---
Howard Leadmon