[c-nsp] Cisco ASR1000 Info..

Howard Leadmon howard at leadmon.net
Thu Oct 31 15:13:06 EDT 2019

On 10/31/2019 12:39 PM, Mark Tinka wrote:
> If I'm honest, the ASR1000 is not a platform I'd spend money on, going
> forward. Especially if you are not looking to run any non-Ethernet line
> cards.
>
> Focus on the MX and ASR9000, I'd say.
>
> Mark.

   Understood, and if my poor 7606 wasn't running out of TCAM I could
continue to run with it for years to come.   I looked at the ASR9001,
but I see all the grumblings about it being only 32bit, and the 9901 is
just way to damn expensive for my blood, that much I know.    I was
debating between the 1006/RP2 and the 9001 units, and it looked like the
1006 would be good old IOS like I am used to, not that I couldn't
adjust, and had lots of redundancy available with redundant RP's and ESP's.

  I also mentioned looking at Juniper on their list, and man did many
come back telling me that JunOS could be a nightmare with commands
changing from release to release, and that if I wasn't used to JunOS
already (which I am not) that it would drive me batty.

  I guess in short I need a unit that can handle 2-3 full BGP feeds, and
also a bunch of peers at Equinix, and on top of that I need like 6-8
10GE interfaces on the router, as I can pass off most traffic to another
access switch to all of the local hardware in the racks. Outside of that
I need some VLAN trunks and life in general is good..

---
Howard Leadmon -
PBW Communications, LLC
http://www.pbwcomm.com