[c-nsp] [External] SDx open standard?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Apr 9 06:09:57 EDT 2020

On 9/Apr/20 11:35, adamv0025 at netconsultings.com wrote:

> It's not an on/off switch, but more like a gradual evolution towards LSO (as it's being standardized at the same time).
> It's never a green field deployment, there's a whole host of existing automation infrastructure & OSS/BSS systems that are being and have been evolved/maintained on a business as usual (BAU) bases and everybody using custom APIs to everyone else - now what LSO is aiming for is the synergy in this space across multiple operators -a common API language and base functionality to slowly evolve towards.
> So the correct question to ask would be what level or percentage of LSO synergy do particular two entities have among themselves.

Not contesting the goal, but rather, who is actually doing it.

We were a MEF member for some time and attended several meetings back in
the day where LSO was being defined. So it's not a new concept, it's
been around for at least half of the past decade.

Also, remember we had a lengthy discussion about "automation" a few
months ago, and what it means to everyone. LSO is not that different,
and for me, the question is whether all the good work defining the
framework has actually gained any patronage, or if people are treating
it the same way as they do SD-this and SD-that?

Personally, I cannot find anyone actively implementing the LSO
framework, even though many companies (especially carriers) actively
work on defining it.

> But I seem to recall seeing some mention of LSO trials in some MEF newsletter (maybe Verizon? or att? can't recall)...

Those have been plenty, just like Segment Routing, with no (or a small
handful) coming out to actually tell their story.

> It covers the "cloud" part as well...

Again, the framework is comprehensive. Will Amazon, for example, bite?

Mark.