[c-nsp] Default Route recalculated every 60 seconds.

Bradley Ordner bradinusa at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 18 02:06:49 EDT 2020

I am about to leave an Enterprise environment due to Pre Covid-19 redundancy and I just need to find the root cause of this issue before I leave.

We recently built a Layer 2 Circuit over a Providers SDN Backbone so we could get a 2Gb Internet link. We peered with this neighbor and filtered a partial table, so we get about 30000 routes. For some reason, every 30 seconds the default route uptime resets to 00:00 in the routing table. I spoke with Carrier, they made a few changes and one was the BGP advertisement timer. It is now set to 60 seconds and now the default route resets every 60 seconds.

The carrier, keeps blaming my side so I opened a Cisco TAC case and they haven't got around to looking at it yet, probably because it really sounds like it is the carrier side. I took some packet captures and indeed every 60 seconds an update with the default is sent. Our router constantly accepts this, recalculates and enters it into the routing table.

I can't seem to figure out if this is some type of bug or not. The router has been rebooted and is due for IOS upgrade shortly, but wanted to see if anyone has seen this or point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Brad