[c-nsp] Default Route recalculated every 60 seconds.

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Apr 18 03:05:56 EDT 2020

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 06:06:49AM +0000, Bradley Ordner wrote:
> The carrier, keeps blaming my side so I opened a Cisco TAC case
> and they haven't got around to looking at it yet, probably because
> it really sounds like it is the carrier side. I took some packet
> captures and indeed every 60 seconds an update with the default is
> sent. Our router constantly accepts this, recalculates and enters
> it into the routing table.

If you can see the default route being announced by the carrier, it's
(very obviously so) not your router who is causing this  (if you see
an outgoing route refresh request, and then an update of *everything*,
things would be different).  There is no mechanism in BGP to tell the
other end "of all routes you sent me, please refresh just the default
route".

Do not let carriers bullshit you into believing "it's all your fault".

Now for "why is it sending an update" - it might be attributes changing
(due to something oscillating in the carrier network), or just a dumb
implementation on their side.  Try looking at the attributes for two
consecutive updates (metric, communities, ...) and see if something
changes.

(OTOH, except for academic interest, I would not worry too much about
it either - one route recalculation every 60 seconds which leads to the
same result "out to that carrier" will not negatively affect your
network)

gert