[c-nsp] ospf auto-cost reference-bandwidth on modern gigabit networks

Mike mike+lists at yourtownonline.com
Wed Apr 29 11:04:40 EDT 2020

Hello,

     Is there a recommended 'modern default' for ip ospf auto-cost
reference-bandwidth, to account for the fact that modern networks have
1g and faster interfaces?

    My core equipment all has 10G and 1G interfaces today, and it seems
to me that if I set the reference-bandwidth to 100gbps, Im not losing
anything, but gaining a useful distinction between the modern
1g,10g,40g,and 100g interfaces of today. I understand the necessity of
setting this on all routers in the network, however, I do have some
older equipment (cisco 7201) doing T1 aggregation that also has 1g
interfaces with nothing higher, so I am wondering the practicality of
maybe just skipping this default change on that and like gear? These
devices are at the edge and further only have single uplink connections
to the core so it would seem safe to not worry about this here.

Thank you.