[c-nsp] ospf auto-cost reference-bandwidth on modern gigabit networks

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Apr 29 11:16:26 EDT 2020

Hey,

>      Is there a recommended 'modern default' for ip ospf auto-cost
> reference-bandwidth, to account for the fact that modern networks have
> 1g and faster interfaces?

To me this never made any sense. It's a very atypical case where you
want your topology to be link-bw based. The most common use-case is,
you want distance metric, i.e. everything is equal, and you want least
amount of hops. The 2nd most common case is role-based, that you have
P-P lower metric than P-PE so you don't transit via PE and so forth
(but each P-P are largely equal, due to topology having few options to
target PE) and the 3rd most common is to have idealised latency based
metric, so that you can model best path on nTh failure (to have bw)
with RSVP.

Reference bandwidth sounds like a very niche scenario where it would
be sensible.

--
  ++ytti