[c-nsp] Delay in delivery of new routers

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Fri Dec 18 10:35:38 EST 2020

There are three forces working here, for clarity.

First is fiscal year. For us (Cisco) it's from August of
year X to July of year X+1. As you can expect, by end
of fiscal year we have a lot of orders coming in, as sales
wants to make the quota. This influences lead times, as
despite being big vendor we also have limits to what we
can produce in given time.

The other is calendar year. Some customers (public
entities in particular) tend to have budget given for
calendar year, and by end of year they usually again
are pushing a lot of smaller and bigger orders, and this
again can influence lead times.

Depending on your ordering type (direct or via
distributor) this can also change for numerous reasons
(stock availability, promotions, etc).

Last but not least - is COVID. COVID impacted whole
supply chain, and despite the fact we fared way better
than our competitors, it's still a problem. Sometimes in
very unexpected places.

I'm sorry for the experience, but work with your account
team. They heave means to try to expedite shipment if
that's for specific project/deadlines.

--
Łukasz Bromirski
CCIE R&S/SP #15929, CCDE #2012::17, PGP Key ID: 0xFD077F6A