[c-nsp] Rant: ASR1000 MPLS (not) load-balancing

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Jan 3 03:23:52 EST 2020

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 at 18:14, Robert Raszuk <robert at raszuk.net> wrote:

>> There is no reason for IP to simpler or more complex in control-plane compared
>> to MPLS.
>

> Disagree.
>
> WIth flat MPLS transport labels must be present to reach all of your 100s or 1000s of LSP endpoints in another IGP area or your other global AS. Think VPN Option-C
>
> With IP transport all I need is a *single* IP summary route to my other area or AS.
>
> I hope control plane difference is clear now.

It  is not, you are looking particular implementations, which have no
implicit correlation to the actual bytes imposed, either could do
either. Only thing which matters is what are the lookup keys and how
many are there. What algorithmic solution do I need in HW to find
rewrite information for those lookup keys.

But we may be beyond discussion of value to the list audience.
--
  ++ytti