[c-nsp] Rant: ASR1000 MPLS (not) load-balancing

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Fri Jan 3 06:59:03 EST 2020

Hey Robert, Happy new year!
On a theoretical fundamental level I have to agree with Saku here,
Think SDN controller implementation of CP for instance, the control-plane complexity of Intra-AS vs Inter-AS LSP programming is exactly the same in this example.

However on practical level,
You're right in the complexity argument in a sense that we have to work with/support technology we currently have installed -which isn't pure SDN controlled Inter-AS setup, but more like ISIS + LDP/RSVP at the intra-AS layer and BGP-LU at the Inter-AS layer. And all the headaches (and elaborate hacks) around scaling in absence of summarization especially in setups with MPLS all the way to the access layer (e.g. cell-tower eNode B in RAN).

adam