[c-nsp] Cisco N540-ACC-SYS ipv4 routes

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Tue Jul 14 03:56:07 EDT 2020

> Mark Tinka
> Sent: Monday, July 13, 2020 3:04 PM
>
> On 13/Jul/20 12:27, Łukasz Bromirski wrote:
>
> > Do we have ASICs? Yes, they *still* usually drive fabrics, all else is
> essentially NPU - because it can be reprogrammed on the fly. As Saku
> pointed out, there’s less and less difference between modern x86
> architectures and networking NPUs however and given how much different
> things can be easily done in software, this trend will continue to drive “cloud”
> applications. This should also help “simplifcation” trend, as there will be less
> and less dependency on the fancy “hardware” capabilities of a box.
>
> I believe what is holding this back from becoming mainstream reality is that
> the cloud providers are building their own swaths of software solutions to
> run in x86 CPU's, and that code does not make it into the wild to see what
> else can be done with it. So the general community keeps messing about
> with flavour-of-the-year-SDN-thingy, until we realize it doesn't work and we
> move on to yet-another concoction.

Not sure what you mean, you can run XR on a white-box, or x86-host (e.g. cRDP). -that's regarding the disaggregation and NFV...
And regarding the "flavour-of-the-year-SDN-thingy", I guess I could see how it has a certain mystery about it for outsiders, but for someone building an intent based networking/ service orchestration system all the concepts you read about in various RFCs, books and publications are a day to day reality.

> I believe if the cloud boys & girls shared more of that code so the network
> operators can see what to do with it on white boxes fitted with Broadcom (or
> equivalent), the rate of "simplification" could accelerate.

I'd say NO thanks very much,
Have you seen what they did with their espresso core? Looks like a bunch of programmers attempt at core network while never talking to anyone with network background, (no wonder their network architect job advert looked more like software architect job advert -not a single requirement around networking design skills).
There are a few interesting concepts in there worth exploring, but the thing is a mess.

adam