[c-nsp] Cisco N540-ACC-SYS ipv4 routes

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Tue Jul 14 08:37:19 EDT 2020

On 14/Jul/20 09:56, adamv0025 at netconsultings.com wrote:

> Not sure what you mean, you can run XR on a white-box, or x86-host (e.g. cRDP). -that's regarding the disaggregation and NFV...

What I mean is the "holy grail" of white box or x86 + home-grown or
new/cheap NOS.

Running a traditional vendor's OS on a white box or x86 isn't going to
necessarily be cheaper from a licensing perspective.

> And regarding the "flavour-of-the-year-SDN-thingy", I guess I could see how it has a certain mystery about it for outsiders, but for someone building an intent based networking/ service orchestration system all the concepts you read about in various RFCs, books and publications are a day to day reality.

I'm not talking about their in-existence... I'm talking about the wide
difference between getting these "intend-based" solutions standardized,
and what is actually happening that hasn't been shared, and/or is
proprietary, particularly with the cloud bags (bags = boys & girls).

The otherwise untidy standardization process for "SDN" does not mean
operators (including the cloud bags) aren't enjoying their own
"automation" deployments, whatever those may be.

> I'd say NO thanks very much,
> Have you seen what they did with their espresso core? Looks like a bunch of programmers attempt at core network while never talking to anyone with network background, (no wonder their network architect job advert looked more like software architect job advert -not a single requirement around networking design skills).
> There are a few interesting concepts in there worth exploring, but the thing is a mess.

Like I said, "if" and "could". I don't know...

What I know is the cloud bags have the resources to experiment and write
code, maybe even to a larger extent than the traditional vendors they
buy from. Sure, the problems you mention are not unlike what we see
coming from vendors where the person interpreting the RFC to write the
code has no idea what IS-IS actually does. That comes down to staff
management, so not an entirely big problem to solve once they have the
right leadership.

For my shop, it still makes sense to rely on a traditional vendor to
solve my networking problems. This isn't necessarily the case for
fast-growing cloud bags, or network operators eating up the
"intent-based" liquorice :-).

Mark.