[c-nsp] Cisco N540-ACC-SYS ipv4 routes

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Wed Jul 15 09:08:52 EDT 2020

Mark,

> On 14 Jul 2020, at 06:52, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.com> wrote:
>
> On 14/Jul/20 04:28, Phil Bedard wrote:
>> The PTX 5000 was the original PTX.  The 1st/2nd generation FPCs didn't have much FIB capacity, like 128k routes which was well below an Internet table in 2014.  The 3rd gen is where they started supporting up to 1M+ v4 prefixes.
>
> Yes, this is what I remember also. But if you look at the PTX1000, you
> don't have that problem from when it went into inception.
>
> Granted, one could say Juniper made the assumption that most MPLS-based
> networks would run a BGP-free core, and in theory, there were right.

That’s right. That’s also why I didn’t want to claim Juniper was stupid
with the product, more into direction that such naive approach simply
didn’t work out.

> What they didn't account was that 6PE was one of those "temporary
> becomes permanent" situations.

OTOH, that’s still the vision we’re trying to catch up with, right? Have one,
simple and easy to provision/monitor/troubleshoot/traffic engineer/decomission
protocol, that carries all address families, has unified architecture and
universal interoperability “because of that”.

So, about OpenFlow… ;)

—
./