[c-nsp] Rehosting a perpetual CSR1000V license

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Wed Jul 22 12:44:44 EDT 2020

On 7/21/20 09:54, joe mcguckin wrote:
> We don’t buy anything that can’t be managed with a serial connection. That means no fancy web based guis. Licensing is in the same category… A piece of equipment has to do something extraordinary before we’d consider purchasing it, if it implements some sort of license key scheme.  We’ve purchased Juniper M series routers in the past and were extremely happy with them (Hey! They actually did what Juniper said they would do without 2 or 3 rounds of hardware upgrades), but I was initially put off because there are license keys embedded in the base software. Then I realized that when the keys expired in 10 years, the boxes would be in the landfill by that time...

The CSR1000V licenses were just so cost effective for building route
reflectors on ESXi compared to the cost of physical hardware. It's a
shame the perpetual licenses are gone in favor of subscriptions.

As a small operator I've had a lot of effectively new off lease
equipment pass through my doors, and expiring license keys don't really
favor that.

~Seth