[c-nsp] Rehosting a perpetual CSR1000V license

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Thu Jul 23 17:47:17 EDT 2020

On 23/Jul/20 21:05, Saku Ytti wrote:

> I think it's well done and I can see applications where it adds real
> value to customers. For us the OPEX of dealing with licenses is too
> much, we want a one-time fire and forget solution, which they offer.
> But if I'd install and decom hundreds of CPEs yearly, with varying
> level of features and I'd immediately transfer feature costs to
> customers, this is really attractive. You buy the boxes without
> licenses and you buy licenses separately, and you ship just-in-time
> the license you actually need, and you return it to your pool once
> you're done. If pools run dry, you get alerts and you procure more.
>
> I also think licenses are a good idea, but often horrible execution.
> Not having licenses means you're subsiding people who use features
> heavily. Not having licenses also means the vendor doesn't know where
> money is pouring in, should they invest in multicast, 6VPE, LISP NRE
> or something else? Licenses mean  you don't subsidize other players,
> you pay for features you use, vendor will understand where  to invest
> NRE for better return.
> Similarly as a metered Internet is a great idea, with almost
> universally horrible executions. I am a heavy user, who is being
> subsidized by low income moms and pops, doesn't feel fair. For my
> electricity I pay separately for transmission and consumption, which
> is a great and fair model. Transmission is fixed cost, use or not,
> consumption is not. Uncongested Internet would be market driven fact
> for metered, because in flat rate Internet dropping packets increases
> margins, in metered Internet it reduces.

I agree that licenses make sense. I've often got great deals from
vendors because they support license models, both in the Transport and
IP/MPLS worlds.

But like you, I want to deploy a license on a box and forget about it.
Having to regularly "call home" is not cool. That said, if you are a
Consumer network that ships out millions of CPE, this may make sense to
you, and I won't be the one to shoot it down.

As long as the vendors know not all sizes fit in on hole, I'm good.

Mark.