[c-nsp] Rehosting a perpetual CSR1000V license

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Fri Jul 24 09:24:17 EDT 2020

Saku Ytti wrote on 23/07/2020 20:05:
> I think it's well done and I can see applications where it adds real
> value to customers.

There are areas where licensing can make sense, but agreed that most
implementations are awful.  The case in hand here is akin to having a
chainsaw constantly threatening to cut the branch your business is
sitting on unless you actively stop it from doing so.  If other people
want to build and operate networks on this sort of premise, then they
are welcome to do so and I will cheerily wish them all the best.

> Similarly as a metered Internet is a great idea, with almost
> universally horrible executions. I am a heavy user, who is being
> subsidized by low income moms and pops, doesn't feel fair.

in this specific case, you're confusing the total cost of customer
ownership with cost of service delivery.  The main individual components
of residential ip service access are fixed business costs and whether
people avail of customer support;  bandwidth consumption usually only
has a marginal impact on overall service costs, to the point that
creating the accounting and billing systems to handle the difference
usually isn't worth it.

Nick