[c-nsp] [External] SDx open standard?

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Thu Mar 26 10:06:36 EDT 2020

> Sent: Sunday, March 15, 2020 6:04 PM
> To: Hunter Fuller <hf0002 at uah.edu>
>
> That's what I'm asking about.
>
> While the thread Mark referenced, deals (in my humble opinion) primarily
> with automation side of things, my question is how the whole SDN thing
> became vendor-specific-closed-protocol?
>
> I'm not talking specifically about any particular facet of SDN, such as
> automation or forwarding plane control over the network (though l
> personally most interested in the latter, at least for now) or anything else -
> rather, how 100% of solutions I've been presented over past year or so, are
> all closed code-proprietary protocol solutions?
>
> Not a single one was based on an open standard, such as Open Flow, not a
> single one is able to interoperate with others, though one particular SDN
> solution will cost *a third *same vendor "traditional" standard compliant
> equipment. That's for me, was begging the question - am I missing
> something here and I'm really be better off by selling my soul to a single
> vendor for eternity, rather than opting for standard compliant box? If there's
> such one to begin with?

The standardization is coming, check out https://www.mef.net/mef-3-0-sd-wan

Though the only thing that can be meaningfully standardized really are "some" mechanisms/protocols used to disseminate "some" decisions. -but that should be enough for basic inerop between vendors.
How the controller comes to a decision is each vendors secret sauce (and as you might have guessed, there always will be some decisions that need to communicated using novel/custom mechanisms -hence my use of "some") .

adam