[c-nsp] BGP router process using way more memory on one system

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Sun May 24 14:20:50 EDT 2020

Hello,

We have two routers that have a mirrored configuration. Peers, BGP configuration, everything. Exactly the same [except for IP addresses]

One of the routers BGP router process is holding 617576024. The other is holding 577596716.

The one that is holding more appears to be suffering from an out of memory condition.

I am planning on rebooting it but before I do is there any known way of freeing up enough memory to allow basic virtual exec processes to execute?

I've tried basic things like shutting down BGP peers, etc but even though the total memory that BGP says it's using goes down.. it still won't free up the memory.

Thanks in advance.