[c-nsp] BGP router process using way more memory on one system

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Mon May 25 03:50:31 EDT 2020

Drew Weaver wrote on 24/05/2020 19:20:
> We have two routers that have a mirrored configuration. Peers, BGP
> configuration, everything. Exactly the same [except for IP
> addresses]
>
> One of the routers BGP router process is holding 617576024. The other
> is holding 577596716.
>
> The one that is holding more appears to be suffering from an out of
> memory condition.

There were a couple of releases where the ipv4_rib process had a
persistent memory leak.  Try this:

Router# admin process restart ipv4_rib

This is non service affecting - restarting the process temporarily stops
FIB reprogramming, then does a full RIB reload from all RIB sources,
then does a FIB check across the device. I.e. it's safer to do this than
to hobble along with OOM errors.

Nick