[c-nsp] Whats happens when TCAM is full on 7600/RSP720RSP-3CXL?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Sep 22 02:10:08 EDT 2020

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 10:14:40PM +0100, Tom Hill wrote:
> The only issue now is (as gert alludes to) RSP-440 are somewhat old, as
> is the 9006 chassis.

It's not "somewhat old", Cisco has explicitly declared the RSP-440
end-of-life.  The ASR-9006 chassis is still supported.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-9000-series-aggregation-services-routers/eos-eol-notice-c51-737819.html

the RSP-440 stopped selling in 2017, and it's formally no longer supported
beyond IOS XR 6.4.

6.5.3 works nicely (*ahem*), but is officially "never tested on RSP440,
never bugfixed, we do not care".

So - if you know exactly what you are getting yourself into, getting a
used ASR-9006 + RSP-440 + Typhoon LCs will be a nice bargain, but you
won't get a service contract for it, and you *will* run into "ah, no,
*that* feature is not implemented on this linecard..." issues.

OTOH, for the original requirements "up to 3 Gbit/s", getting a box that
uses 1000+ Watts *and* needs so much space *and* is end-of-life might
not be a good choice...  in Cisco land, there's the ASR9001 (nice box,
though the MPAs all carry the "we do not want to sell them" price tag)
or the ASR1000 as alternative (though I'd never buy one), or you look
into Juniper land for a MX204.  The MX204 is really like "the box".

Given the IOS XR is sufficiently different from IOS that you need to
invest in training anyway, have a close look at the MX204.

gert